Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What did you do today?



I held a 4 1/2 week old bald eagle in my hands and here are the pictures for all to enjoy. Last summer I had the opportunity to hold a loon chick while the biologists banded the father, and I thought that was unbelievable, but holding this eagle was just unforgettable. He or she has been banded and will continue to be monitored, we hope, for many years to come. His/her parents nested this spring on an island just across the lake from camp and we have been watching and patiently waiting for the little one to arrive. All our anxious moments during heavy windstorms, lightning and cold nights were put rest when I held that little bundle this afternoon. He/she was very calm the entire time, not the least bit anxious or nervous. Once all the measurements were completed, weighed (6.6 lbs) and blood drawn, he/she was returned to the nest safe & sound.
Of course I could go on and on about the experience, but like they say.... a picture is worth a thousand words. Simple put, it was just GREAT!










No comments:

Post a Comment